Running Injury Clinics
Our running injury clinics, located at several MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network locations across the region, combine highly skilled therapists with cutting edge technology.
Evaluations in the clinic include:
- Thorough history (history of previous injuries in runners have been shown to increase future injury risk by three times)
- Discussion of runner’s individual goals (anything from beginners looking for an injury prevention program and guidance to run their first 5K to elite athletes looking for a marathon personal record)
- Posture, strength and flexibility testing
- Video motion analysis on the treadmill reviews mechanics and determines whether there are any abnormal findings in posture, strength and flexibility--this comprehensive analysis will look at the entire runner head to toe
- An individualized exercise program to target any findings in the exam which increase injury risk or compromise training/performance
- Footwear recommendations
Training recommendations generally leave specific details to coaches but give outlines regarding:
- Safely increasing mileage and intensity based on current injury
- Incorporating cross training and use of the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill. This allows for a decrease in impact forces (the #1 risk in running injuries) and gives our runners a safer and more gradual return to their desired training volume and intensity
Physical therapists in the Running Injury Clinics have extensive training in video motion analysis and are runners themselves. Their combination of personal and professional experience, combined with technology previously available only to elite athletes, adds up to a high caliber program to help you run healthy.
Running Injury Clinic Locations:
MedStar Harbor Hospital
Lutherville Sports Medicine
Washington, D. C.
Outpatient Center for Orthopaedic Rehab (OCOR)