Leonie Prao, MD with a patient
MedStar Sports Medicine is among the premiere sports medicine programs in the country. We bring together fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, sports medicine providers, rehabilitation/sports performance professionals, sports-specific researchers, and nationally recognized programs in hospitals and outpatient centers across the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. region.
- One of the few African American head team physicians in major league sports
- The NFL’s first female head orthopaedic surgeon
- The head team physicians for the women’s and men’s US national lacrosse teams
- Past presidents of the NFL Team Physicians Association
- The Arthroscopy Association of North America award-winning researchers.
MedStar Sports Medicine's team affiliations range from professional and collegiate to recreational athletes. Responsibilities range from:
- on-field/course provision of medical care
- rapid access to medical care in the event of injury
- educational updates for athletic trainers and supporting medical care providers
- pre/post-season physicals
- concussion screening and post concussion care